We're Celebrating 100 Years of Service
to the Salisbury Community!
Less than four years after the end of the War in 1918, America was suffering from a severe recession and many communities had significant unmet social needs. On a beautiful Thursday afternoon in July of 1922 a group of young men met for a formal luncheon in the dining room of the Yadkin Hotel in downtown Salisbury, one of the community’s more prestigious gathering places. It was a young crowd - all but three or four were younger than 30 years old - and many of them were veterans freshly returned from Europe at the conclusion of World War I. These men had come to realize that the problems of their growing community demanded solutions, and they were impatient to see some of Salisbury’s most pressing problems solved. The top item on the group’s agenda this day was to decide how they might organize and work together to become more involved in solving some of these problems. Salisbury's Civitan Club was founded that day and has served ever since!
Are YOU related to one of these great men? Check out our list below!
The twenty-seven original members of the Civitan Club of Salisbury were:
• William George Alexander, Sr. (1895-1963)
• Oliver J. Gould Barnett (1899-1966)
• Bryce Parker Beard, Sr. (1893-1965)
• Hayne Stirling Blackmer (1896-1944)
• Alfred Benjamin Brady, Sr. (1901-1964)
• Byron Oldham Clark (1900-1955)
• Charles Lee Coggin (1890-1953)
• Thomas Alexander Foreman (1895-1959)
• Paul Arthur Heilig (1880-1936)
• William Edward Hennessee (1899-1958)
• Ewart William Gladstone (E.W.G.) Huffman (1898-1953)
• Bishop Curtis Leonard, Sr. (1895-1987)
• Charles Everett Malone (1892-1951)
• Gilmer Martin (1901-1965)
• Samuel Hayes "Sam" McCubbins (1894-1957)
• James Hampton McKenzie, Jr. (1895-1965)
• Benjamin Talmadge Mitchell (1895-1962)
• William Swepston Overton, Jr. (1897-1969)
• George Calvin Peeler (1889-1969)
• Irvine Manning Richardson (1893-1960)
• Cecil Rogers (Royer?) (unknown)
• John Alexander Seaber, Jr. (1899-1973)
• Dr. Irving Everett Shafer (1888-1959)
• James Edward Sifford (1900-1982)
• C.E. Woodall (unknown)
• Robert Overby Yancey (1894-1974)
• Frederic Houston "Fred" Young (1892-1985)
The Civitan Club of Salisbury is planning a special memorial recognition event for these twenty-seven founding club members to take place in August of this year. We would love to hear from you if one of them is in YOUR family tree!
Contact Bill Bucher of the Civitan Club Centennial Celebration Committee at:
and let us know who you are and how you are related to one of these fine men. We especially want to hear from you if you have a picture of one of these men you would like to share from the time period of around 1922 when our Club was formed.